Request for Proposals: Statewide Organizing Director
Front and Centered is a statewide, community-driven coalition working to achieve environmental justice by asserting policy solutions that center equity. Our members are the leadership of communities first and worst hit by environmental and climate impacts – communities of color and indigenous communities. Together, we are working to build the power and capacity of a statewide movement for racial, economic, and environmental justice. We do this by growing our member’s leadership and power to change laws, reverse destruction of the environment and our communities, rebalance the economy and political power, and build up healthy communities
We envision a future where our communities and the earth are healed and thriving, our people have dignified work and the building blocks of opportunity and prosperity, and our government values, respects, and represents us. We are working for sovereignty, resilience, and self-sufficiency for our communities so that future generations can thrive. We strive to make racial inequities on all issues a thing of the past and to ensure that people of color and indigenous people are at the forefront of building equitable, democratic systems and policies that work for their communities.
We believe that fundamental changes are required to achieve environmental justice and healthy, thriving, equitable futures for communities of color and indigenous communities in Washington State. We believe that sustainable, meaningful solutions to environmental and climate issues threatening everyone in Washington State cannot be created without maximizing the wisdom of indigenous communities and communities of color. We believe that our future depends on solutions created by communities who have been historically marginalized and most impacted by environmental and climate hazards.
Front and Centered seeks an experienced community organizer to complete the following scope of work:
Scope of Work
- Develop and execute a statewide organizing strategy to support collaboration and greater engagement, action, and momentum across the state for environmental justice, including a likely ballot measure in 2018.
- Convene members in statewide gatherings, organize monthly planning meetings and weekly strategic calls with other contractors of Front & Centered and as needed.
- Assess and provide strategic recommendations for engaging communities of color in key parts of Washington state, and execute a plan to build the membership of Front & Centered and to increase the overall participation and level of action toward forwarding the priorities of the coalition.
- Grow, organize and convene Front and Centered Members
- Organize member groups and prospective member groups to identify ways that they want to get involved and understand and communicate their priorities to the policy leads and steering committee.
- Engage Front and Centered members through regular communication channels as most appropriate to participate in Front and Centered campaigns, programs, workgroups, etc.
- Coordinate the annual meeting of all the members and routine committee meetings.
- Develop and implement the statewide field strategy for Front & Centered members participation in the Alliance for Jobs and Clean Energy.
- Routinely inform, convene and represent Front and Centred groups and communities around the climate campaign. Ensuring clear, transparent communication, that builds trust and accountability toward the interests of Front and Centered groups and communities most impacted.
- Build a coordinated field strategy to educate and mobilize voters of color pass a ballot measure.
- Develop and manage assessment methods to evaluate progress and outcome to share with members, funders as well as to inform and shape future efforts.
- Continually assess and leverage our capacity to engage people of color in collective action toward Front & Centered policy priorities and campaigns.
- Organize regional assemblies to get input and engagement on the priorities, and an annual statewide meeting.
- Utilize input from members along with people of color data/research, identify key/core geographic areas, building out our collaboration and engagement levels, with a particular eye toward areas of the state that are under-represented.
- Lead implementation and administration of our work plan in the Public Participation Grant on engaging toxic communities.
- Communicate and collaborate with external stakeholders, such as organizers from allied organizations; promote the Front and Centered agenda through the management of our social media accounts and newsletters, leveraging best practices in digital organizing.
- Create and manage systems to track engagement, progress, and outcomes
- Provide routine progress reports to the Steering Committee of Front & Centered.
- Other tasks as assigned
Required Skills and Qualifications
- Minimum 3 years of experience in community organizing.
- Experience working in coalition campaigns and structures.
- Experience working in diverse communities namely with people of color and indigenous peoples as well as disenfranchised communities.
Desired Skills and Qualifications
- Experience working on legislative or ballot measure campaigns
- Experience in organizing statewide across geographies
- Experience using digital organizing techniques leveraging social media
- Written and verbal communication skills in English and an additional language prevalent in Washington State or demonstrated experience working with multilingual communities
- Team player capable of working both collaboratively and independently
- Highly organized and resourceful with a strong attention to detail
- Problem solving, project management
- Deep knowledge and passion for social movements, environmental justice and racial justice
- Ability to travel and attend meetings on weekends and evenings.
This is an independent contract scope of work anticipated to be 40 hours a week. Currently, the scope of work is funded from October 1, 2017 – December 1, 2018, with the possibility of extending the work beyond this time period. Compensation range $75,000 to $95,000 for term of the contract. All additional travel and operational costs incurred will be covered by Front and Centered. The contractor will cover their own taxes, benefits, healthcare, etc. We are an equal opportunity employer and strongly encourage people of color, women, and LGBTQ individuals to apply. Front and Centered is fiscally sponsored for this work through the Latino Community Fund.
Interested individuals should send an email to [email protected] with a subject line, “Statewide Organizing Director” and attach a letter of interest, resume and 3 references from former or current clients or employers by October 6, 2017. Interviews will be scheduled with qualified candidates on a rolling basis. The position will remain open until filled.